It was a steamy, hot July 16th as 400 volunteers descended on Arlington National Cemetery to do a little landscaping. The 22nd Renewal & Remembrance volunteer day of service is an annual event for the National Association of Landscape Professionals.
As a co-sponsor of the event, several employees from Schiller Grounds Care and our distributor Steven Willand, Inc., took part. This team employed six Ryan ZTS stand-on aerators and a Steiner 450 tractor with a front core aerator attachment to aerate several sections of the cemetery.
Volunteers from across the nation fanned out across the grounds and completed projects including:
- 108 acres aerated,
- 5 acres limed,
- 46 acres received phosphorus,
- 4 trees received lightning protection,
- 3 Irrigation projects completed,
- 1 large retaining wall built, and
- And the children’s program planted 300 annuals and 15 shrubs at the Mast of the Maine memorial.
Photo credit: Phillippe Nobile Photography